Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday
Day 2 ½. We still don’t know the subcategory of the AML…most likely tomorrow. They started an oral form of chemo last evening and throughout the day today. Regular drip chemo will start tomorrow and go for 7 days. Bonnie’s fatigue is more pronounce today, but her fever broke and maintained a normal temperature for several hours. The source of the fatigue is from the disease, the meds and low hemoglobin in her blood. Because of the low hemoglobin they are doing two bags of blood transfusion – red blood cells. The other piece of good news is the doctor informed Bonnie that the harsher drip chemo shouldn’t make her feel any sicker than she already does.

She continues not wanting to eat much….it would be great if she ate a little more for some energy. I (Steve) did convince her to go for a walk this afternoon so that was good.

Again we are so thankful for the many offers for help and with meals. We will more than likely take many of you up on the offer, but we’re still early in the process and trying to structure a process that works best in coordinating everything. We are fortunate that my folks only live a mile from our house and Bonnie’s mom is playing the role of house manager at our house while I’m (Steve) here at the hospital with Bonnie. I’ve mentioned to a couple of people that the real reason I’m staying here is because I have the best parking spot in the parking ramp and don’t want to lose it!

So back to the serious side, we have three extra drivers in addition to Cassandra. Priscilla Lohrmann is helping me (Steve) to put a structure in place and Mary Grace Braatz (who I owe many thanks to!) helped get the ball rolling with our church’s Manna Ministry to coordinate meals. I have a mom and a mother-in-law who like to cook, but I know there will be many opportunities for meals. As things take shape I will communicate with you who to contact for what.

As many of you know, Cassandra is graduating this year and her commencement ceremony is a week from Saturday and although God’s timing is far superior than ours, it still is hard to accept the fact that Bonnie won’t be able to be there to help hand Cassandra her diploma after all the years she poured into teaching Cassandra. Something exciting that others are working on that you can pray will pan out is the possibility of using South Church and Sparrow’s technology to somehow simulcast the graduation so Bonnie can watch it in her room. There are a few people working on this to try to make it happen and I am so appreciative of it. Of course we also have Cassandra’s openhouse on May 30th. A lot of advance planning has been done, but there are still items that need coordinating. We’re working on the best solution to accomplish this.

Just to end this blog for the day, earlier Bonnie asked me to read some scripture to her. I used my “read through the Bible” version and read the portion of Psalms for today’s date which is appropriate for our situation……..Psalms 61:1-4…”Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You. When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.”

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting us know what's going on. You are in our constant thoughts and prayers. It's mind boggling what you guys must be going through. You've got a lot of people who are praying and want to support you in any way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} We have not stopped praying for you since we received the news from Cassandra. We serve an awesome God who is more than able to save and to heal you!!!!!! We are lifting you up day and night! We love you!!!! <3 Brad & Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie and Steve,

    Just wanted to let you guys know we are praying for your family and Bonnie's healing. Let us know what we can to do help you.

    Love and Prayers,

    Jeff, Cindy, Derek & Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie & Steve,

    My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm praying that you will experience God's compassion and faithfulness amidst this storm.

    "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." ~Lamentations 3:22-23

    Love, Bev Bishop

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be constantly in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Steve and Bonnie,

    I am praying for you and your family. Chris called me last night and told me what was going on. I feel like I have been thinking about you ever since. We are going boldly before the throne of grace and asking for great healing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie and Steve-
    I've been praying multiple times a day for all of you. I hope you feel all of the prayers your CHESS family is praying for you all.

    Peace and God's healing upon you Bonnie-

    Hugs and love,
    Kelly Sites

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Opper Family,

    We are so sorry to hear about Bonnie. We are thinking about you constantly and you are being lifted up in our prayers!

    The Mandeville's
    Psalm 121

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey OpperBoppers's,

    We are also keeping you lifted in prayer.

    The Thompson's!

    ReplyDelete