Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday,

Today was another day of watching and analyzing Bonnie’s status as it relates to her overall response to the chemo. The frequency of the intestinal issues has decreased, but still comes on without much notice, so that continues to be somewhat unnerving for Bonnie and limits her confidence of straying too far from the room. She really doesn’t have the energy to do much anyway. We did get her bathed and changed today and her feet washed. This may sound like a fairly simple process, but it is very hard for her to sit on the edge of the bed for an extended period of time without getting overly fatigued as well as chilled. Once she lies back down in bed shivering, the thing that brings her the most physical comfort is the hot blanket I get from the warmer to wrap her in.

The key aspects of her blood labs that we track continue to make much headway. Obviously the White Blood Cell count will continue to be 0 until such time that the chemo has worked its way out of her body. Her platelets and hemoglobin continue to drop requiring additional transfusions. By the end of tonight she will have had three transfusions of platelets today. We are waiting for the last two (currently 9:00). Tomorrow morning she will be given Red Blood Cell transfusions to boost her hemoglobin. Please pray specifically that she will not have an allergic reaction to these transfusions. So far so has had no sign of reactions to the transfusions she has already received. The pre-transfusion regiment includes Tylenol and Benadryl, which makes her tired. She has to have this prior to every transfusion.

Please pray for my (Steve) lower back and tailbone that I will not wake up in the middle of severe pain, numbness and tingling. I’m not going into all the details, but did see the doctor today and working on why. I am also trying a new roll away bed tonight as opposed to the extending sofa.

As we reflect on where we started on this journey and wondering where we are going, we know one thing for sure, God is there. It is so encouraging to see just a smidgen of God’s plan and handiwork being played out through this trial. We had another example occur today reinforcing that God is in control and revealing Himself to us through His word.

In my daily Bible reading today, I read the account in 1 Kings 18 of Elijah taking on the many false prophets of the day by challenging them to call upon their gods to bring fire down to burn up their offering while Elijah taunted them because of the lack of response from their (false) gods. Meanwhile Elijah prayed to God to bring fire down and accept the offering, which God answered with a vengeance and showed all the people gathered who the real God was, is and will always be. Elijah’s faith was great and saw an incredible miracle and answer to prayer that day, yet it is interesting to see in the very next chapter Elijah’s weakness of feeling of alone. The thought struck me on how a man of this stature could feel so alone and afraid following the witness of such a great act by an awesome holy God. 1 Kings 19: 9-10 says:

“And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and He said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” So he said, “I have been very zealous for the LORD God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.”

It was the next section of this same encounter between God and Elijah in verses 11 & 12 that caused me to stop and dwell on the text a little more than usual:

"Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.”

It was the last four words of this encounter that brought comfort to me as I sat in the atrium lobby at 5:30 this morning, “a still small voice”. How terrifying the thought of a wind with the force and power to break rock off a mountain. I tried to imagine the noise of the wind, the shaking of the earth and the roaring of the fire and then….a still small voice. I couldn’t help but think of the “noise” surrounding our encounter with a holy God imposing His perfect will for our lives, a will that is challenging for us to understand with our earthly, finite minds. Yet there He is, in the midst of our turmoil, “a still small voice”. What a wonder, what a relief and what a comfort; the source of the abundant peace we have been overwhelmed by since the day of our arrival here at Sparrow. Elijah may have felt alone, but he wasn’t. We are not alone either.

This was a great moment for me (Steve) as I sat there in the quietness of the early morning pondering this. I returned to the room and found an email from our daughter Callie (who is currently with a friend in Indianapolis). Her email was “stuff for Mom”, meaning inspirational commentary and Bible verses for her to read. The very first commentary was on “Confidence in Times of Distress”. The first verse on the list was Psalm 46:10:

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!


There was that word "still" again, but this time it was not describing God, but rather how we are to respond. We need not be anxious about Bonnie’s disease. We need to be “still” in our hearts so we will continue to know God’s “still” small voice. May He be exalted in this challenging journey. Please pray that we will be “still” in our hearts. Thank you so much.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you Bonnie (and Steve) through out the day and even in the night! "The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped...Psalm 28:7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Bonnie, Steve, Cassandra, Callie and Caleb.

    "But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel,
    Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.

    When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee: For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Savior . .

    Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honorable, and I have loved thee . . . . Fear not: for I am with thee . . . Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him." Isaiah 43: 1-7

    You are precious to us as well. May the strength, grace, peace and joy of Jehovah be yours today.

    Ed, Cathy and Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you often and love you all very much.

    Here are some verses I found that are encouraging:

    Psalm 73:28 "But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the sovereign Lord my shelter..."

    Psalm 4:3-4 "You can be sure of this: The Lord set apart the godly for himself. The Lord will answer when I call to him..."

    Psalm 73:23-26 "Yet I still belong to You; You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leaging me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but You? I desire You more than anything on earth. *My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever.*"

    Psalm 91:14-16 "The Lord says, 'I will rescue those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them...'"

    Psalm 3:3-6 "But you are a shielf around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the Lord, I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side."

    Psalm 62:1-9 (These are just verses 6-8): "Truly He is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

    Joshua 1:9 (Amplified Bible)
    "Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

    Jerimiah 29:11-14a "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,' delares the Lord, 'and will bring you back from captivity."

    2 Corinthians 4:16-18 "So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal."

    Thank you so much for your example of how to consistently rely on God even thru very tough circumstances. You are in our prayers constantly.

    Much love,
    Stephanie E.

    [I apologize for the length of this post!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add this verse to my last comment. It's a very interesting one I found when reading a Joyce Meyer book. I thought it was cool because it showed that God had a plan to defeat the nations that were against the Israelites; but because of certain reasons, He couldn't defeat them all at once; but He had to wait and do it a little at a time. This must have been frustrating for the Israelites, because they knew God could do it in a heartbeat if He wanted to. But He chose to do it bit by bit because that was what would work out the best in the long run.

    Deuteronomy 7:22-23a "And the Lord your God will clear away these nations before you little by little; you will not be able to put an end to them quickly, lest the wild beasts grow too numerous for you. But the Lord your God SHALL deliver them before you." (caps mine)

    <3

    ReplyDelete