Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday,

This is going to be a quick update post tonight as I (Steve) have a MUGA Scan test at 8:30 tonight.

Bonnie’s WBC are now 4,400, so we continue to rejoice each days as the lab results are returned. Her platelets are still low and she received another transfusion today to help provide a boost. To put the platelets into perspective (I may have done this several weeks ago), the normal body has between 100,000 and 150,000 platelets to help coagulate the blood. Today, Bonnie’s platelets were 19,000.
The team of physicians have discussed Bonnies GI tract and protruding stomach and would like Bonnie to have a colonoscopy now that her WBC count is at the level it is now. A colonoscopy will help them determine more clearly what is going on with the bowels and diarrhea, something they couldn’t do before. The GI doctor doesn’t want to do the colonoscopy until Bonnie’s platelets are above 45,000. A couple of transfusions can get Bonnie to that level, but it sure would be nice to see the platelet levels increase all on their own. So those of you who want a specific way to pray, please pray that Bonnie’s platelets will increase without a transfusion.
Please continue to pray for physical strength and mental determination for Bonnie to get up the courage to walk. Several doctors have commented that moving around will only benefit Bonnie’s GI tract.

As for me, I had my first round of radiation this morning. As far as I can tell I don’t glow in the dark, but will make sure this evening when it gets dark! I will continue radiation treatment tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday with Friday off. I also have a meeting with my oncologist tomorrow to discuss the results of both the bone marrow biopsy as well as the PET Scan that was completed last Friday. Later tomorrow I have a consultation with the surgeon who will install the permanent port in me sometime in the next week. This will be used for the chemo treatments when they start.

Off to my MUGA Scan. I’ve spiking a fever the last few nights as a result of the lymphoma. Please pray that I can manage these with Tylenol. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. 4400! Whoo Hoo! We are praising God with you.
    On your way to 45,000+!
    gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo glad that your WBC is rising, Mrs. Opper! I will pray that your platelets will supernaturally rise without transfusions!

    I am praying for you, Mr. Opper, as you start radiation... must be hard... I can't imagine.

    I am the Lord, the God of every person on the earth. Nothing is impossible for me. Jeremiah 32:27

    _Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pour on the platelets for Bonnie and enduring with only Tylenol for Steve. Got it! Thanks. It helps to pray specifically

    "And as amidst the many dangers which every moment threaten us, it is difficult for us to get rid of all anxiety and fear, the Prophet at the same time testifies, that God keeps watch unceasingly over our safety."
    John Calvin - commenting on Ps 121.3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Up Up Up WBCs!!!!!! Bonnie will be doing laps around the halls soon!

    Steve- maybe you will glow red, white, and blue for the 4th of July?

    Glad everything is moving right along and your treatments are underway.

    Praying for you both daily-and the kids too!

    Your peace and humor in the trials are a testimony to God's work in your lives!

    Thanks for sharing your trials each day with all of us!

    Kelly Sites

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all rejoice in each little victory and pray for God to reveal His plan through all of this! You both remain an inspiration to your friends and family. For we shall focus not what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal.
    The Barry Robinson Family

    ReplyDelete