Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday,

Bonnie’s White Blood Cells continue to climb, which now rest at 400. Approximately 9600 more to go, but we are taking it one day at a time. Not seeing any movement and staying at zero WBC for the past 15 or so days it was a great challenge to not to start doubting the timing, which in reality was doubting God’s “perfect” timing of when He wanted them to start growing and multiplying. We allowed the impatience of the moment to crowd our mind from worshipping God for who He is and the grace and mercy He has poured out on us. Please pray that our minds will be clear from the subtle distractions of doubt and impatience that periodically try to creep into our minds.

The other exciting news about the white blood cell count is, of the 400 WBC, 80% are the disease fighting kind (neutrophils). This is at the high end of the normal range for this percent and the doctors are very pleased with the results thus far. The yeast cultures also continue to be negative, her rash is softening and skin peeling. I told Bonnie when this is all done she will probably have the skin of a 25 year old. Tonight I saw the familiar sparkle in her eyes, which for me has been missing for the past couple of days.

Please pray that God will take away her fear of straying too far from the bathroom. The diarrhea has slowed down considerably, however there is still a conditioned response after almost a month of having diarrhea that any movement in bed or elsewhere will start the process. This has caused her to become anxious such that she is apprehensive to leave the bed. I encouraged her this evening to get in the wheel chair and we rode out to the atrium for a while followed by a few minutes on the outdoor patio. We then came back to the room where she was willing to do a couple of physical therapy moves. Holding a chair and bending her knees up and down 10 times followed by holding the back of the same chair and lift her left foot then right foot 10 times. That did her in, but it is a start and I reassured her that we are taking it one day at a time, as I mentioned earlier about her WBC count. Pray that she will continue to see the need to do the PT, no matter how simple it may seem to her.

As for me, my tests continue tomorrow (Friday) with the PET scan which uses a special glucose that will adhere to the areas where lymphoma is present. Please pray it is only in my sacrum and not in other areas of my body. Also pray for my use of pain management. I am apprehensive to use pain killers, however the pain continues to escalate each day so the doctors want me to use them regularly, however there is a very inconvenient side effect that is, let’s just say is the opposite of what Bonnie has been dealing with in the bathroom for the past month. We make quite a pair.

Because of the increasing pain coming from my sacrum anytime I move, whether walking, sitting or lying down, my Oncologist and Radiologist have conferenced and determine to start radiation immediately to try to shrink the mass which hopefully will take the pressure of the nerve endings on this part of my spine. One I’m ready for chemotherapy treatments, they will suspend the balance of the 4 week/5 times per week radiation and start and finish the chemo portion before resuming the radiation. Please pray that the radiation next week will reduce the size of the mass relieving the pressure on my nerve endings.

Speaking of pressure, I am often asked how I (Steve) am handling the pressure of now dealing with my own disease, caring for Bonnie’s and managing our children. I will conclude by saying that regardless of the incredible circumstances that our family is facing and the monumental path ahead of us, I can honestly say without question that I have a joy in my heart that is difficult to describe. I can say we’re joyful or happy or content about many things in life, but to say I have joy when my wife has leukemia, I have lymphoma and my children are wondering about their parents’ long term health, it may seem odd to you to hear me say I’m “joyful”. I’m joyful knowing that there is more to this life of pain and suffering and it is the love of Christ and what He did for me on the cross that has turned my sorrow into an everlasting joy. James 1:2-4 says:

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

Our faith is being tested hourly. Please pray that we continue to pass the test and that we remain steadfast and lack nothing in Christ.

6 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound odd to me that you say you're joyful, it sounds awesome! One of the enduring lessons of your experience for me will be when in difficult circumstances I'll say, "if Steve and Bonnie could have joy in their circumstances, surely I can do it when..." I'm grateful for the example of joy in the fire of affliction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives, my brothers, do not resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends. Realize that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance. But let the process go on and you will find that you have become men of mature character, with the right sort of independence. James 1:2-4 Phillips

    I love that verse too! And it certainly is a challenge in your situation. Thank you for loving Jesus and holding on to your faith. You are a HUGE example to us out here in blogland!
    We love you.
    gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for challenging me in my faith and trust in Jesus.

    Praying especially for you today, Mr. Opper.

    Amy Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil. 1:3-6
    I thank my God every time I remember you Opper family. In all my prayers for your family, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in each of you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
    He is God and we are not! He knows, He cares for each one of you!
    Our God is an Awesome God and though you walk through the deepest of valleys you do not need to fear, for Our God is with each one of your family, and His rod and His staff will comfort all of you at any moment that you cry out to our Lord and Savior.

    Trusting Him,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve,
    Just want you to know that you are not being ignored for pastoral visits. I've missed you the last couple of times I've been up to the hospital. You are a bit busier these days which is hard to imagine with all the busyness that you've already been enduring. I'm sure I'll run into soon. Stay encouraged and keep on persevering!
    Praying for you all,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I would realy love to talk with you when you are up to it. I would like even more to give you a hand with your responsibilities. Let Me know how I can help. Need to cath up.
    Michael Burtraw
    517-449-6285
    burtraw@tds.net

    ReplyDelete