Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday,

Thank you to all you faithful participants of reading this blog. I knew this day would eventually come where I (Steve) didn't have the time to work on this update do to unforseen circumstances.

I will leave you with this, Bonnie's WBC are now 300 and the neutrophils are around 80% of those. Overall I would say Bonnie had a good day. She did get some transfusios of platelets as she continues to have some blood in her stools. Please pray this will stop.

Me on the other hand am in pretty rough shape. The bone marrow biopsy procedure was a little different than Bonnie's as it relates to what was done as well as the premedications. Little did I know that I was getting two biopsys, one on each side, and the pre-meds consisted of Ativan (something to relax you) and a localized shot in the area of the biopsy, which consisted of two shots of Lidocaine (like Novacaine at the Dentist). Bonnie had morphine with one of her procedures and Demerol with the second.

The Pathologist said I would feel pressure but no pain. I have a very high pain tolerance and I would have to say this was the most extreme pain I have ever felt. They believe the reason for it was due to the mass on my sacrum possibly pushing on nerve endings from the pressure of the procedure.

Between the pain pills and the overall exhaustion of the process, I laid down at around 5:00 p.m.and didn't wake up until 10:15. I'm still pretty uncomfortable, so coninue to pray that God will reduce the pain and that the results show that my bone marrow is normal.

Because of the nerve pain I'm experiencing, the doctors have decided to reverse the process and give me radiation first followed by the chemo....once all the tests are complete, which will be by mid-week next week. Our good friend Marty Johnson works in radiation therapy, so we have an excellent source in navigating these new waters we're in.

We had a few family stop by today and commented on how good Bonnie looks. We're hopeful that as the WBC continue to come in she will get more strength. The tastebuds won't return for a while, but she is getting nice new skin underneath that which is peeling.

I will do a better update tomorrow. Thank you for your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Steve and Bonnie, Jamie and I are still reading. In fact, we even used my Blackberry to keep up while on vacation.

    Spurgeon went through some awful periods of physical pain. If I was a little better with my computer, I would be able to give you some of his descriptions to invoke or put on your blog.

    I pray that the God of hope would fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit, you may abound in hope (Romans 15:13).

    Chris and Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe you can update at all, Steve! Thanks for the efforts. I hope they get your pain under control. Praying. Great to hear about Bonnie's improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve and Bonnie,

    Thank you so much for this update---we are still reading and still praying everyday for all of you! We are so glad to hear that Bonnie's WBC are increasing! We will specifically pray for your pain to be controlled today, Steve.

    Hugs to all of you,
    Sandy Mandeville

    "Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people both now and forevermore." Psalm 125:1-2

    ReplyDelete