Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday,

Another day of wait and see as it relates to Bonnie’s coping with the intestinal issue while the chemo continues to ravage her body even though the drip IV ended Monday night. Our nurse today informed us that the chemo can stay in the body for up to two weeks.

The gastroenterologist visited Bonnie today to review the many remedies that our main physicians have been alternating in hopes of finding the right combination that would minimize the intestinal issues. He eliminated all but one and added two others. Interestingly, Bonnie had severe intestinal issues this morning at 7:15 and didn’t have another bout until 6:00 this evening and the new medicine wasn’t prescribed to begin until tonight at 7:00. So the almost 11 hour reprieve gave Bonnie much needed relief. We’re hopeful it might be slowing down, but Bonnie is somewhat apprehensive in eating for fear that it will set her back into an hourly visit to the bathroom throughout the night. Needless to say, she is exhausted. She labors so hard for well over an hour to eat a few bites of toast with peanut butter and jelly on it and then wonders why she even tried when it runs right through her. Please pray that her intestinal tract will settle down so her body can absorb the minimal nutrition she is putting in by eating as opposed to the food bag running through the IV.

Even with the fatigue, I was able to coax her to get out of bed into a wheel chair so I could push her outdoors onto the patio for a few minutes in the fresh air. She said she was only doing it for me as she thought I needed a break from the room and hallway. Always thinking of others and putting them first. I told her whatever it takes to get her out of the room I’ll go along with (even though I didn’t need the outdoors). She was wrapped up in two hot blankets and wore a bonnet on her head so no skin was exposed to the sunlight.

There’s not much more to report as we are in a holding pattern until the biopsy on Monday. I have heard from many who take the time to read this blog that they like to hear from Bonnie. Because of her fatigue it is too difficult to ask her to write or even have me transcribe. So the best alternative is to share Bonnie’s frame of mind and therefore would like to share with you another 3 x 5 card she has written scripture on along with her comments. The scripture reference is Psalm 16:5:

“Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.”

Bonnie’s comment underneath this verse says:

“Whatever happens to me is assigned, measured and controlled for my eternal good! As I accept this portion my heart becomes quieter and is content with what God gives.”

God has assigned this difficult task to us, particularly for Bonnie. He takes great care to make sure the assignment is the exact amount; measured and controlled. How comforting it is to know that on one hand the portion assigned to us is specifically measured based on our ability to handle the task yet the cup of God’s love, peace, joy and kindness overflows without measure. You can’t ask for more comfort than that during a difficult time as this.

Your prayers continue to sustain us (and specifically give me endurance as I attempt to minister to Bonnie throughout the day). We cannot begin to thank everyone for this.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Steve & Bonnie -
    Liz & I are among those praying for you. I'm sure it is difficult to add a post every night, but we really appreciate your blog to get a glimpse of what you're going through & how we can specifically lift you & your family in prayer. We are so very encouraged by the strength you are letting Him provide you to rest in. May God's peace continue to overwhelm you. Dave & Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bonnie and Steve,

    Your writings each day are such a blessing and beautiful reflection of God's grace and your dependence upon Him. We will continue to uphold you in prayer and trust that God will meet all your needs and comfort you in this incredible trial. You are precious!

    Love, Ron and Suzanne Kregel

    ReplyDelete