Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday,

Day 47. I (Bonnie) have indeed turned the corner for the positive in this phase of my treatment. Today my WBC registered at 1500, up from 800 yesterday. The Neutrophils are holding steady at about 80% of those WBC and there hasn’t been any sign of blasts (leukemia cells) thus far which is truly an answer to prayer. My platelets were low again so I had another transfusion of those today. Please pray for wisdom for us on the next steps as my WBC count continues to climb. Once I’m at 10.000, I will be transitioning to the bone marrow transplant phase.

Please pray that my body will absorb more protein in both the food IV as well any normal protein I may eat. The doctor has increased the amount of protein in the food IV. The lack of protein being absorb is causing my stomach to protrude and be bloated. I feel like I’m 4 months pregnant but this should subside once my body begins to absorb the protein.

I haven’t gotten back to walking laps, but do get out of the room in a wheel chair a couple of times each day. The last couple of days have been challenging for Steve to assist me because of the ongoing constipation due to the pain medication he needs to take to relieve the pressure in his sacrum. He has tried every physician regiment and is now taking the strongest medicine to counter the constipation, but nothing seems to work. The cramping is so intense it comes right through the pain medication. Pray that he will have relief and that somehow he can manage both this issue and the pain at the same time.

We have to continue to trust God that He knows best for our situation, although it is easy to become discouraged when I (Steve) want to jump up and help Bonnie yet have to fight through the pain caused by both the sacrum as well as the constipation. We know life is full of heartaches and issues. Some of them are brought on by ourselves and others things that happen are out of our control. It’s so easy to want to be in control of the situation even when we recognize God is in control; such as, I (Steve) want to continue doing everything for Bonnie as I was before and now God is saying “no”. I have to understand that I am “but a vapor”, but God knows who I am because of His love and kindness and we need to be in awe of who God is to better put into perspective the “little” things I’m trying to control here on earth. Amos 4:13 says:

For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind and declares to man what are His thoughts, He who makes dawn into darkness and treads on the high places of the earth, the Lord God of hosts is His name.

And Jeremiah 51:15 says:

It is He who made the earth by His power, who established the world by His wisdom, and by His understanding he stretched out the heavens.

Please pray that we find comfort in God because of His holiness and who He is and that He will be glorified in all of our actions, not just how we’re handling this situation, but that it will be sustained for years to come.

Thanks for your care!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie and Steve,

    I'm so glad that you are starting to feel better Bonnie! Our family is praying for you and Steve and your children too.

    Keep trusting God. He is forever faithful, as you know.

    We pray Steve finds relief from his pain very soon and that his treatment goes well next week.

    Love & prayers,

    Jeff, Cindy, Derek & Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve and Bonnie, we're still reading your posts. I plan on using you to illustrate a point about joy in tomorrow's sermon. So, you'll be famous in Stillman Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you both and also for your children. They are so precious to us. Praising God for the increase in the right numbers for Bonnie. Thanks for keeping us posted through this blog. Your very real struggle and willingness to be transparent to all has a unique effect on those of us reading and causes all of us to grow in our faith. It is a privilege to be among those who lift you hourly before the throne of God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for you both and some people from my youth group who heard about y'all are praying as well! I love you all and miss you. Throughout these last few months I've just realized that God is good all the time. You all have shown immense strength and faith which is VERY encouraging to all of the people watching you! Thanks for being such a great example!

    ReplyDelete